Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Recipe Monday: Cajun Shrimp and Sausage Kebabs

Good morning! On this Wednesday, I'm bringing you Recipe Monday because that just seems like the practical thing to do... I left Happy Mother's Day up on Monday and Tuesday for two reasons... 

Reason #1: My parents' internet has been down at the house (because we live in the sticks you can't just call the Cox or AT&T guy, it's MUCH more complicated) so I knew my mom wouldn't see it until she went to work on Monday...

Reason #2: I figured it'd take you at least two days to read the whole thing! Longest post ever, right?! I'm sure you all bowed out in the first fifteen points, and I don't blame you a bit, but I could go on and on and on when it comes to singing my mother's praises... And I knew she'd read every single word and to be perfectly honest, her opinion was the only one that mattered that day.

So thanks for hanging with me! In other news, have I mentioned that:
we're leaving on a jet plane in THREE DAYS?!

EEEEEK! We are so excited and I have sooooo much to do! But BK and I made a "Pre-Vacation To Do List..." Ok, let's not kid ourselves, I made a list and BK and I have been working hard to get it knocked out. BUT, there are a few things that I'm going to need YOUR help with!

Book Recommendations! Anybody read anything good lately? I'm definitely taking suggestions in a hurry. I'm not a big fan of sci-fi, I prefer real life or at least somewhat believable. Past that, I'm pretty much free game! Please send me your suggestions!!

Now, on to the good stuff:


RECIPE MONDAY on a WEDNESDAY:
CAJUN SHRIMP & SAUSAGE KEBABS

It's been such wonderful weather that cooking on the grill has been a no-brainer at our house lately! We were a little burned out on burgers and grilled chicken so we thought we'd give seafood and sausage a try. I am so glad we did, because these kebabs were a-mazing! They tasted just like a Louisiana shrimp boil but no gigantic pot was necessary. Which was important to us because we don't have one! Anyway, this recipe is one of my new favorites because you cook the whole meal with one recipe, prep was a breeze and cook time was an whole whopping eight minutes! What more could you ask for really?!



Recipe Adapted From Everyday Food, June 2011

What you'll need:
1/2 Lb Small New Potatoes*
2 Small Ears Corn (Cut into 1 1/2 inch rounds)
1/2 Lb Andouille Sausage (Cut into 1 inch rounds)
1/2 Lb Large Shrimp (Peeled and deveined)
1/2 Stick Butter (Melted)
3 Teaspoons Tabasco**
3 Teaspoons Old Bay Seasoning**

*I used purple passion potatoes because that's what I had in the pantry and I'm trying to weed out anything that will go bad while we are on vacation... I love purple passions so I thought they were delish!
**You can alter this 1:1 ratio depending on how spicy you want yours to be!

What you'll get: This makes 4 skewers... enough for two people

What you'll do:

(1) Start by boiling the potatoes in salted water over medium/high heat for 12-15 minutes, until the potatoes are tender. Drain and rinse under cold water.
*Shout out to my Mom-In-Law for this little jewel of a stocking stuffer, the easy strainer! She probably had no clue how much we would LOVE this thing... It makes draining soooo easy (I'm notorious for accidentally dumping everything into the sink!) Unfortunately I'm not sure where she got it, but if you ever run across one - BUY IT! You'll be amazed how often you use the thing!


(2) Thread potatoes, corn, andouille and shrimp onto skewers.

(3)Heat grill to medium/high heat. (It's probably best to lightly oil the grill before heating it, we didn't and it didn't cause us any problems.)


(4) In a small bowl, combine the butter, Tabasco and Old Bay.


(5) Grill kebabs turning and brushing with butter mixture occasionally until the shrimp are cooked through and corn is starting to char. (8 minutes-ish)


If my dad had been here we would have wanted lemon wedges and I agree, it'd be a nice touch, but we didn't have any in the fridge so we went without... and it was still yummy!


We eat Uncle Ben's Ready Rice ALL THE TIME because it's so stinkin' easy and absolutely positively delicious!! Literally you crack open the bag just a little bit and microwave for 90 seconds and TADA!!  Yummy rice! Plus it comes in lots of different flavors so you can change it up depending on what you are paring it with. We chose Long Grain & Wild this time because, well, it's my favorite and I was the one picking! 


Be Blessed,
Raegan

No comments:

Post a Comment