Monday, November 21, 2011

I May Not Know How to Cook a Turkey (yet) BUT...



I CAN MAKE A MEAN PUMPKIN ROLL!

And it's your lucky day because I'm going to share the recipe, PLUS the big secret to making it a smashing success! Prepare yourself, this is good stuff... if you doubt me, call Brandon and ask him about the pumpkin roll wrapped in saran wrap in our refrigerator right now. It was SUPPOSED to be shared with his hospital buddies but for some reason it never made it up there...

First things first, before you get started make sure you have all of the ingredients (I know that's the obvious thing to do, but you wouldn't believe how many times I've started something just to find out I'm short an egg or two... If you don't believe me re-read this.) For the pumpkin roll itself you are going to need:

          3/4 C flour                   dash of salt              
          1 C sugar                     3 eggs
          2 tsp cinnamon                2/3 C pumpkin
          1 tsp nutmeg                  1 tsp lemon juice
          1 tsp baking powder


For the cream cheese filling you just need:

          1/2 stick margarine (softened)
          8 oz cream cheese (softened)
          1 tsp vanilla
          1 C powdered sugar


Alright, so here is what you need to do...
  (1) In a medium mixing bowl combine the flour, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking powder and salt. This will smell DELICIOUS!

All of my cooking utensils, bowls, etc are NEW so they are still super shiny and it makes a kind of crazy reflection in the picture... Sorry!
But thanks Ziegenhain Family for the wonderful mixing bowl seen here!!
*I used a smaller mixing bowl for the cream cheese filling and failed to take a picture, but a big thanks to Kurt & Ronnie for supplying that guys!

  (2)After mixing the above, add the eggs, pumpkin and lemon juice



  (3) Blend until completely smooth

Hand held mixture courtesy of the Carlton family!!
I wasn't lying when I said I've already put our gifts to good use.

  (4) This is the TOP SECRET, VERY MOST HELPFUL TIP. Your pumpkin roll will probably not "pan" out if you skip this step. (Yes, that was a very bad joke. Sorry couldn't stop myself.)

What you are going to need to do is apply Pam to your jelly roll pan pretty heavily. (I didn't take a picture bc you can't see Pam so it just looked like a jelly roll pan, not helpful.) Next you'll put wax paper on top of the Pam and cut it long enough that there is a couple of inches excess hanging over both sides. Then you put MORE PAM on top of the wax paper. These steps are crucial because if your pumpkin roll sticks to the pan, it will tear and then you won't be able to roll it up. Disaster. (You'll still eat it though because it's delicious, but you'll be too ashamed to take it anywhere. Trust me, I know from experience.)

Jelly roll provided by J.Cochran.

  (5)Pour your pumpkin mixture on top of the Pammed, wax papered, jelly roll pan. Make sure to spread it out evenly so that it doesn't burn on the thin spots.


  (6)Bake 15 minutes at 375 degrees... at least that's what my mom's recipe says but I usually only bake it 12 minutes and then check it because I like it as moist as possible... and I'm paranoid about burning things.

  (7)While it's baking, spread out a tea towel (not a fuzzy one!) and cover it with powdered sugar. There isn't a specific amount used, just cover it pretty good. Don't freak out, at the end of this you just toss the sugar coated, pumpkin rolled tea towel in the washing machine and it all comes out perfectly.

Not positive who gave me this specific tea towel because I received quite a few,
all of which I have used and loved! Thank you tea towel donors!

  (8)Okay, this step is kind of tricky. When you take the roll out of the oven immediately turn the pan upside down on the tea towel... Sounds easy enough, right? Well, it's not. First off, that little pan is h.o.t. and you'll need to awkwardly hold it with your thumb on bottom and your other fingers on top, so that you can flip it easily. Also, make sure to hold the wax paper so it doesn't get stuck between the roll and the tea towel. And last, but definitely not least, make sure whatever is on the other side of your tea towel can withstand some powdered sugar because when you flip that pan, it's going to shoot powdered sugar everywhere! (If you already make pumpkin roll at home, and it doesn't make a rather large mess just don't even tell me about it. If the kitchen is a train wreck when Brandon comes home but the pumpkin roll looks great, he thinks it must be a very difficult thing to make and I worked really, really hard. Then he is very proud of me... Let's not mess up this good thing I've got going, ok? Thanks!)

  (9)Now just stick the pan in the sink and carefully peel off the wax paper. Even with the extra Pam you'll want to take it kind of slow, just in case there is a sticky spot. Also, check around the edges of the roll because sometimes the wax paper will be stuck on there. Chunk the paper.


  (10)Now just shake some of that powdered sugar onto the top side and start rolling! After it's all rolled up, cool completely... overnight is fine, but not required. Either way stick it in the refrigerator.


  (11)While cooling, make your cream cheese filling. Mix together the margarine, cream cheese and vanilla. After those are mixed together add the powdered sugar and blend until it is super smooth! (Do NOT just toss the beaters in the sink. Seriously, the cream cheese filling is like gold in our house. We make sure to take advantage of every little drop. Lick the beaters, spatula, bowl, place where it dripped on the counter... You'll thank me, I promise.)

  (12)Once completely cool, unroll the pumpkin bread and fill with the cream cheese frosting. Again, try to spread it pretty evenly, but if you don't it's not the end of the world. Re-roll (The recipe my mom wrote for me goes on to say, "But leave the towel out this time!" Thank you Captain Obvious, I appreciate that vote of confidence.) and refrigerate. Before serving I always sprinkle a little more powdered sugar on top just for pretty... ENJOY!

I sliced it so the picture would look pretty but I don't suggest you do this beforehand
because all the yummy cream cheese filling will fall out. So just slice it as you go.
Pretty platter from the Mary Sloan and Nila Keck! I have two, which is perfect since I'm making two pumpkin rolls for Thanksgiving!


Hope you enjoy one of my favorite fall recipes! Hope mom is cool with me sharing it. I would suggest she start copyrighting her recipes... Until then, I'll go with the "Forgiveness is easier to obtain than permission." I know mom was thrilled when dad had Zac and I reciting that at an early age...

Be Blessed!
Raegan 

No comments:

Post a Comment