Monday, February 20, 2012

Recipe Monday: Homemade Cheeseburger Macaroni


Hey gang! Happy President's Day! I assumed, since I was named after a President, I would be given the day off to reflect on President Reagan's time in office. I assumed wrong. Bummer. IF I believed in karma, I'd blame my lack of a free day on the bad karma I received for lying. So in order to change my karma around... just in case there is such thing as karma... I must confess: I'm not named after President Reagan, I'm named after my mom's favorite store... that's why my name is "a" before "e" instead of like the Pres. Which actually makes much more sense, since I love to shop and I'm not that crazy about politics... ANYWAY, hope you were luckier than me and got to spend the day relaxing in the comfort of your own home!

Now, moving onto Recipe Monday! Today I'm bringing you one of Brandon's favorites from my most loved cooking blog, Iowa Girl Eats! This one, I must admit, I was rather skeptical about. It's basically a healthier version of Hamburger Helper... I'm not a huge fan of Hamburger Helper to start with, so making it healthier sounded even less appealing but I'd already made the fatal mistake of mentioning to Brandon that there was a new HH recipe floating around out there... So we HAD to try it, or so he said. Being the wonderful wife that I am, I gave it a whirl and as much as I hate to admit - Brandon was right, I was wrong. It was delicious. Go figure! Not only was it super yummy, but it was also a breeze to make! And it even reheated well when I took it to lunch the next day! Soooo, definitely give this one a try, you won't regret it! Unless, of course, you tell your husband you don't like Hamburger Helper and then you go eat five bowls of it... That part you might regret.


HOMEMADE CHEESEBURGER MACARONI


What you need:
1 lb Lean Ground Beef
1 T Cornstarch
2 tsp Paprika
1 tsp Onion Powder*
1 tsp Garlic Powder
1 tsp Salt
1 tsp Sugar
1/4 tsp Pepper
1 C Hot Water
2 C Skim Milk
1 1/2 C Twirls or Small Pasta of Your Choice
1 C Shredded Sharp Chedder Cheese**

*You know how I feel about onions... I left this out and it was still delicious!

**I forgot to pick up sharp chedder so I used Colby Jack and Chedder... It was still great, but I think the sharp chedder would have been best!

What you do:


(1) Brown ground meat in a skillet and drain grease. Add cornstarch, seasonings, hot water and skim milk. Stir to combine.



(2) Add pasta, stir until combined and bring to a boil.



(3) Reduce the heat, place a lid on top and simmer for 10 minutes, or until pasta is soft. Stir occasionally.



(4) Turn off the heat and stir in cheese until melted. Let stand for about 5 minutes.

Tada! All done! See so easy and super duper yummy! It was perfect for the one cold day we had last week!



Be Blessed!
Raegan

No comments:

Post a Comment