Friday, November 8, 2013

Sweet Memories & Cinnamon Rolls


It's 3:24 am and I'm sitting on a bar stool at my kitchen counter with the sweet smell of  gooey cinnamon rolls baking in the oven and it takes me back...

On my very first married Christmas Eve, my precious husband was scheduled to be the doctor on call at the hospital. He was bummed as it meant a long, stressful night by himself when the rest of the world was celebrating with their families. So, in hopes of surprising my groom and making a good impression on my new in-laws, I worked into the night making the Pioneer Woman, Ree Drummond's, cinnamon rolls from scratch. It was a daunting and slightly intimidating task, but as you may remember I had tackled my first Thanksgiving turkey just a month before and I was up for the challenge... Plus I never go to bed in a timely fashion whenever Brandon's not home so I had a few hours to kill.

I followed the recipe and Ree's very helpful pictures meticulously and the cinnamon rolls did not disappoint... but this is not a story about middle of the night cooking disasters. The point of this rambling is to say that I specifically remember that Christmas Eve, sitting on the bar stool just as I'm doing now, waiting on the oven timer to go off and thinking about how it couldn't be possible for life to get any better. I had married the most incredible man imaginable in my dream wedding at the Ranch just a few monthes earlier. We happily lived in our first little home and  I, very proudly, felt like a grown up with my first real job that required business clothes. Brandon and I would be heading back to my hometown as soon as he got home to spend a few days with my family... Life was good.

And life was good, but tonight while I wait for the oven timer to go off, and Brandon is again on call at the hospital, something has changed. My darling husband is still the most incredible man imaginable and we still live in our first little home, but I no longer wear my pretty work clothes... This time there is a little boy sleeping in the next room. He'll probably be up soon for his middle of the night feeding. Tonight, life is a whole new level of good... I'm quite sure life can't possibly get better than this. I am so incredibly blessed.


Oh, and one more thing has changed! These cinnamon rolls are not for Christmas... These cinnamon rolls are for the baby shower welcoming my precious "nephew" and Cooper's cousin, Henry. We've been praying for him since right around the time of that Christmas Eve two years ago and sometime between this Christmas and the first few days of January our answered prayer will arrive! 


Thank you Lord for blessing me so much more than I deserve. 
Please help me always remember to be grateful... 
and thank you for cinnamon rolls. 

Be Blessed,
Raegan

No comments:

Post a Comment