Friday, March 15, 2013

The Worst Kept Secret

Under normal circumstances, I am a very good secret keeper. I'm incredibly tight lipped - lock it up and throw away the key - but when it came to Baby King I couldn't shut my mouth! 



Telling Daddy:
So Brandon was coming home from being on night call the morning I realized that I was pregnant. I got up that morning and took a pregnancy test, feeling quite confident that there was no way I was pregnant. Turns out, I was wrong. I took the test and INSTANTLY the line showed up bright and bold. I honestly didn't really react. I just kind of stared at it and thought "no way." So I decided to hop in the shower, get ready and perform another test. (The whole time checking the original test every ten seconds as though it was going to change... It didn't.) The second test, again, instantly two bright lines. Wow. I couldn't get my head around it... I just didn't feel pregnant. 

Brandon came home and hopped straight in bed, I wasn't really even tempted to tell him because I wanted to do something more special then just hand him a pregnancy test... especially if I would have to wake him up, tell him and then turn around and leave for work. That didn't sound the least bit fun to me. So I waited...

I spent the day wracking my brain thinking of how to tell him. Long story short, I ended up doing a little secret crafting in my office. After work, I wrapped up my little project and we headed off to dinner at one of my favorite restaurants, Paseo Grill. I told Brandon that one of his presents came in and I wanted to give it to him early so that he could enjoy it all through the holidays. I handed him the gift and he happily obliged (He hates all my Christmas rules - no peeking, cheating, opening early, etc). He opened the box to find a little crown made of lace. He was a bit confused, but then I told him there was more in the box. He dug around until he felt something hard... He stopped digging, looked up at me and as soon as he saw my gigantic grin, he knew... We're having a baby! It was the most precious, genuinely happy, utterly shocked face I've ever seen. 

Telling the Grandparents:
We couldn't control our excitement through the holidays so we spilled the beans to our families on Christmas! We didn't do anything too extravagant, just wrapped a framed picture of the ultrasound and had them open it as their last gift. It was so much fun watching their reactions! Brandon's parents were so sweet and excited, but nothing compared to my parents' faces - complete shock!! Absolutely hilarious! 


Grandma Karen

 Grandpa Larry

 My parents - Still accepting grandparent name suggestions



In true Mama Shawna fashion, we told her she was getting a grand baby
and an hour later she comes out of the attic with a crib!! 
She bought it a few years ago because "you don't run across pretty antique cribs everyday!"


Be Blessed!
Raegan

2 comments:

  1. Hahaha! Your mother is hilarious. I cracked up when she told us about the crib in the attic. So excited for you guys!!

    PS- I can't believe how much you and your mom look alike in these pictures! I've never noticed it before- two beautiful ladies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ahhh this just made my eyes water, that is the sweetest thing. I might have to steal the idea of wrapping a pic of the ultrasound (some day), that's super cute! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete